Ever fancied building your very own earth oven?
Join us on this fantastic day and discover just how simple it is.
On this one day course we will be running through the whole process from start to finish. You will leave equipped with the skills and knowledge to go home and build your very own oven.
The course will include:
- Considering what size of oven is right for you
– Discussing where to source materials cheaply
- Understanding heat transfer, thermal mass and storage and how it impacts on your oven design
- Instructions on building suitable oven bases
- Preparing your clay
- Building oven floor
- Building oven former
- Building the walls of the oven
- Carving the oven door
- Considerations around using brick door surround and/or chimney
- Decorating the oven/shaping it to your preferred style
- Understanding how to maintain and look after your oven
Rather than other venues which will take your oven down as soon as you have dispersed, we want you to be part of a genuine build. This is why we are inviting people wanting a clay oven in their garden to host the day! See below for dates (more coming soon).
– Refreshments and light lunch are included.
– Bring clothes you are happy to get mucky, and a fresh set to change into when you go home
- Step by step handouts will be supplied
– A notebook and pen will be a useful addition
– Course open to all ages (children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult)
When and where?
See below for available dates and locations…
Running times are 9am til 5pm.
16th August, 9am – 5pm